Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Steps 4, 5 and 6



The response to the first series of Twelve Step videos (Steps 1, 2 & 3) has been wonderful. Keep in mind these are just one personal interpretation of The 12 Steps.

Although these are from an AA perspective, the same principals apply to adult children of alcoholics and those from otherwise dysfunctional families. May you continue to find value in them!


Step 4- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves




Step 5- Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs




Step 6- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character



Check out the Orange County ACA website at: Orange County Adult Children

1 comment:

sparky said...

Thanks again alot of useful info. I sometimes wonder about how mentally healthy it is for me to always hear the same things over and over in 12 step recovery.

In 1939 the big book had said,"Of necessity there will have to be discussion of ,matters,medical
psychiatric, social, and religious." pg 19

It seems to me constanly discussing only the twelve steps limits me to focusing on other useful important information.

Sometimes my perception of 12 step groups really does appear almost cultish. I was told by someone I respected to look up the word "groupthink" and that was a real eye opener and explained alot of the mixed feelings I have fely in 12 step recovery.

I often feel I am not allowed to think outsdie the box or looked at as a rebel if I do ask questions or question the 12 step philosophy.

I like the January 2009 Time Magazine Article "Are 12 Steps Too Many"

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1872779,00.html

I know steps can be a great personal tool and yet sometimes the "groupthink" has really run me off.

The biggest tool I feel in twelve step recovery is what they reffered to in the 1939 AA big book as the "The Herd Effect" getting people together talking about the things they can identify with.

Luckily I have also found many that identify with the "groupthink" and are exposing the dangers of it. Which in the long run will hopefully keep the herd together.

I hear 12 step recovery has been decling at least in AA, according the stats. from the 2007 AA convention.

I see the new 2006 ACA Text is out and also know some of the story behind creation of that text and the presently very small ACA WSO.

Which actually re-confirmed some of the dangers I have personally experienced first hand in 12 step recovery and the dangers of "groupthink" when other are allowed "closed looped information" and don't follow the Traditions and Concepts too....a healthy group conscience etc...



21 Century recovery is what I need, building on the past but with experience, strength and hope of evolving.